Home » Programs » Aquatics » Youth Lessons
POLLIWOG 1 (Ages 6 & up)
For the beginner non-swimmer with little or no experience in the water. The class is designed to help students become more comfortable in the water.
- Work on water adjustment, getting face wet, basic swimming skills, basic pool rules & water safety
- Work on following group instruction and gaining self confidence
POLLIWOG 2 (Ages 6 & up)
Advanced beginner level. Has completed Polliwog 1 or is very comfortable in the water, doesn't mind getting face wet, swims 25 feet with flotation on and is ready to work on jumping skills.
- Learn more about pool safety & class rules
- Work on the ability to do a back & front float for 30 seconds, take a breath and stand, no flotation. Introduction to a kneeling dive with assistance
- Learn the proper way to wear a life jacket. Swim 10 yards on front & on their back wearing a life jacket. How to enter and exit a boat safely. Perform reaching assists
- Emphasis will be learning correct body position, head position, arm placement & kick
- Jump in & return to the side without assistance. Slide down & climb up a pole in the water
- Work on the ability to swim 25 yards front paddle, 25 yards back scull & 25 yards side stroke without wearing flotation
- Increase endurance swimming 20 feet front crawl with rhythmic breathing and 20 feet rudimentary backstroke.
GUPPY (Ages 6 & up)
Completed Polliwog 2 level or can swim 20 feet rudimentary front crawl and 20 feet rudimentary backstroke & side stroke, without wearing flotation. Comfortable jumping into the pool from the side without assistance.
- Learn basic reaching and throwing assists & name four diving safety rules
- Work on treading water for 20-30 seconds with or without a flotation
- Learn the HELP position and be able to hold that position for 2 minutes
- Work on learning to go from a kneeling dive to a standing dive from the side of the pool & be able to jump off the block
- Swim 25 yards rudimentary front crawl with rotary breathing and 25 yards rudimentary backstroke
MINNOW 1 (Ages 6 & up)
Child must have completed Guppy level or be able to perform all the skills covered in the Guppy level.
- Learn about shallow water black out, breath holding and what to do if a boat capsizes
- Learn the 5 points of rescue breathing
- Work on ability to tread water with an effective kick for 1 minute
- Work on performing rudimentary breaststroke for 25 yards, rudimentary sidestroke with scissor kick for 25 yards and rudimentary elementary backstroke for 25 yards
- Work on surface dive 5-7 feet in deep end
- Primary focus will be perfecting front crawl with rotary breathing & perfecting backstroke
- An introduction to diving off the starting block & bilateral breathing
MINNOW 2 (Ages 6 & up)
Completed Minnow 1 level skills or able to perform all the skills covered in the Minnow 1 level.
- Learn rescue breathing, how to activate EMS, water & boating safety
- Increase the ability to tread water for 3 minutes
- Work to increase ability to swim 50 yards bilateral breathing, 50 yards backstroke & 50 yards elementary backstroke
- Work on performing a dive from the starting block, underwater swim, then surface
- Work on breaststroke and butterfly kick for 15 yards
FISH (Ages 6 & up)
Completed Minnow 2 skills or able to perform all the skills covered in the Minnow 2 level.
- Learn basic first aid, treating leg cramps, rescue breathing, accident prevention & throwing assists to target. Learn HUDDLE position wearing a life jacket.
- Do throwing assist into target.
- Survival float for 6 minutes with clothes on.
- Tread water for 3 w/combo of kicks.
- Learn safe boating tips.
- Perform a head first surface dive down 6-8 feet.
- Swim 50 yards of the following strokes: Front Crawl with/open turns, Backstroke w/roll/bent arm/open turns, Breaststroke w/pull/kick/glide/open turns, Elementary Backstroke w/glide, Sidestroke w/scissor kick/glide & Butterfly Stroke 25 yds with fins/15 yds no fins.
- Flip turn for Front Crawl & Back Crawl.
- Intro to 100 yards individual medley.
- Play wet ball 5 min in deep water
FLYING FISH (Ages 6 & up)
Completed Fish skills or able to perform all the skills covered in the Fish level.
- Learn about backyard & water park safety.
- Survival float for 6 minutes with clothes on
- Tread water for 6 minutes all 4 kicks.
- Understand adventure, risk taking and personal safety ground rules.
- Throw ring buoy into hoop 7 of 10 times from 15-25 feet.
- Know what to do when a boat capsizes.
- Swim 100 yards of the following strokes: Front Crawl with bilateral breathing/open turns, Backstroke w/open turns, Breaststroke w/open turns, Elementary Backstroke w/glide, Sidestroke w/alternate sides/regular kick, Lifesaving Sidestroke 50 yds & Butterfly Stroke 25 yds w/o fins.
- Flip turn for Front Crawl & Back Crawl.
- Intro to 200 yards individual medley.
FISH/FLYING FISH COMBO (Ages 6 & up)
Completed Minnow 2, Fish skills or able to perform all the skills covered in the Fish level.
SHARK (Ages 6 & 10 up)
Completed Fish/Flying Fish level skills or able to perform all the skills covered in Fish/Flying Fish level.
- Will work on performing HELP position for 5 minutes. Learn about heat and cold medical conditions, prevention & first aid. Learn shock symptoms & treatment. Learn to open obstructed airway. Learn ice safety & rescue
- Focus will be on continuing to build endurance and stroke technique
- Increase ability to swim 75 yards butterfly stroke with push off, streamlining
- Work on 200 yard individual medley: 50 yards front crawl, 50 yards backstroke, 50 yards breaststroke & 50 yards butterfly
- Learn to do backstroke 100 yards with dolphin kick, streamlining
- Learn to perform 100 yards of breaststroke with pull out & 75 yards butterfly stroke
- Taught to do lifesaving medley, trudgen crawl for 50 yards & inverted breaststroke for 50 yards
PORPOISE (Ages 6 & up)
Must have completed Shark level skills or able to perform all the skills covered in Shark level. This class is for the student who loves to swim, but doesn't have the time to commit to a competitive team.
- Work on competitive strokes for half the class and lifeguarding skills for the other half of class
- Learn surface dive and recovery, lifesaving medley, lifesaving entries, reaching and swimming assists, lifesaving equipment & treading water for 2 minutes with no hands
- Work on competitive swimming drills, individual medley, open & flip turns, racing starts
DIVING PRACTICE CLASS
For the student that needs additional help in learning to dive. Must present a copy of paid receipt to the Instructor. Open to youth in Polliwog 2 and above. Three week class.
AQUATIC LEADERS (Ages 13 & up)
Have you completed the Porpoise Program, or are you an Adult who loves to swim? Join our Aquatic Leaders group and learn to teach swim lessons. Volunteers assist with 2 swim classes per week. Call Aquatic Coordinator at 732 341 9622 ext 2277.
YOUTH PRIVATE SWIM LESSONS (Ages 6 & up)
For those who need extra attention or would like a one on one session with a Swim Instructor. Must present a copy of paid receipt to the Instructor. Call Aquatic Coordinator at 732 341 9622 ext 2277 to arrange a lesson by appointment.