Home » Programs » Aquatics » Preschool Lessons
SHRIMP / KIPPER / INIA
To promote an enjoyable aquatic experience between parent and child in their water exploration together. Class objectives are:
- Adjust parent and child to the water and develop the ability to enter and exit the pool safely
- Develop the child's balance, coordination and breath control
- Learn basic swimming skills, kicking, reaching & pulling
- Increase parent's knowledge of water safety guidelines
- Enjoy the group environment & network with other parents
PERCH (Ages 2 - 3)
The focus of this class will be helping the child gain confidence and the ability to move through water independently, wearing a flotation device
- Work on following direction from the Instructor
- Child will develop the ability to enter the pool independently, using the "Safe Way In"
- Work on kicking, reaching & pulling, while wearing a flotation device
- Introduction to working with a kick board, treading water and back float, while wearing a flotation device
JELLYFISH 1 LEVEL (Ages 2 - 3)
For the child who just completed Perch level without a lapse between sessions and has been approved by the Instructor to take this class. No exceptions will be made due to safety reasons. Child is already comfortable working with an Instructor, following directions and swimming independently 15 yards with a flotation. The child is ready to be in class on their own, but not old enough. The parent is in the water, but in the background.
- Instructor will be working on helping students become more independent of the parent
- Work on swimming more on their stomach in a horizontal position; increasing endurance & getting comfortable swimming in the deep end
- Get more comfortable with putting their face in the water and work on more challenging aquatic skills
JELLYFISH 2 LEVEL (Ages 2 - 3)
Child must have completed Jellyfish 1 without a lapse between sessions and has Instructor approval to take this class. Child must be able to follow direction well in a group without parent alongside child. The parent is in the water, but in the background.
- Increase endurance and be able to swim independently 25 yards with a flotation on and a few feet without
- Work on jumping in, submerging & turning to grab the wall and climb out
- Learn basic back skills & gradually increase distance on their back
JELLYFISH 1 & 2 COMBO LEVEL (Ages 2 - 3)
Completed Perch, Jellyfish 1 skills or able to perform all the skills covered in the Jellyfish level.
JELLYFISH 3 LEVEL (Ages 2 - 3)
Child must have completed Jellyfish 2 without a lapse between sessions and has Instructor approval to take this class.
PIKE 1 LEVEL (Ages 3 - 5)
Child must be independent of parent and three years old before the first day of class. This class is a great water adjustment class for the beginner swimmer who may have little or no water experience.
- Adjust to the aquatic environment
- Introduction to basic swimming skills, basic pool rules & water safety
- Learn to follow group instruction, follow direction and gain self confidence
PIKE 2 LEVEL (Ages 3 - 5)
- Completed Pike 1 or has been swim evaluated for this level
- Already adjusted to group instruction & following direction on their own
- Understand basic pool rules and personal safety
- Work on paddling 10 yards on their front & back with flotation, swim 5 feet on their front & back without flotation
- Work on putting face in, comfortably submerging while doing bobs at the wall, to eventually jump in & return to the side with assistance
- Learn boating safety, the correct use of life jackets & back float with a life jacket on
EEL LEVEL (Ages 3 - 5)
- Completed Pike 2 or can swim 10 yards on their front and back with flotation on and 5 feet without. Can jump in the pool and comfortably submerge.
- Learn more about pool rules, personal water safety, reaching assists & boating safety
- Work on front paddle 25 yards with rhythmic breathing with flotation on
- Work on back paddle 25 yards
- Build endurance to paddle 15 feet rhythmic breathing,15 feet back paddle & 15 feet side paddle, all without flotation
- Work on performing a front and back float for 20 seconds with or without flotation
- Work on jumping into the pool without flotation and return to the side without assistance
RAY I LEVEL (Ages 3 - 5)
For the child who has mastered Eel level skills or can swim 15 feet rhythmic breathing and 15 feet rudimentary backstroke without a flotation.
- Learn 4 diving safety rules and recognize dangerous situations
- Perform a sitting dive from the side, jump off the starting block & climb down a pole & up to the surface without wearing flotation or needing assistance
- Understand when and how to perform a basic reaching/throwing assist
- Develop the skills to tread water 10-20 seconds with flotation on. Perform a front and back float without a flotation
- Learn rudimentary side breathing with symmetrical body form for 25 yards with flotation
- Work on developing the endurance to swim 15 yards rhythmic breathing & 15 yards rudimentary backstroke, no flotation
- Rotary breathing will be introduced
RAY 2 LEVEL (Ages 3 - 5)
For the child who completed Ray 1 level skills or can swim 15 yards rhythmic breathing and 15 yards rudimentary backstroke without flotation. Has the ability to swim 25 yards rudimentary side breathing and 25 yards rudimentary backstroke wearing flotation.
- Learn to name four diving safety rules & the HELP position, with the ability to hold it for 1 minute & basic rules for an emergency & how to dial 911
- Work on swimming 25 yards on their front & on their back wearing a life jacket
- Develop the skills to tread water 20-30 seconds with flotation on. Perform a front and back float for 30 seconds without a flotation
- Work on jumping into the deep water and swimming up 5-7 feet & the ability to perform a standing dive from the side of the pool
- Work on developing the endurance to swim 25 yards rudimentary rotary breathing with a rudimentary front crawl & 25 yards rudimentary backstroke
STARFISH 1 LEVEL (Ages 3 - 5)
Child that either completed Ray 2 level skills or can swim 25 yards of rudimentary rotary breathing with a rudimentary front crawl and 25 yards of rudimentary backstroke, all without a flotation. Able to perform a standing dive from pool side.
- Work on the ability to tread water for 40 seconds and float for 45 seconds on their front and on their back, all without a flotation
- Learn basic boating rules and exiting a boat in an emergency
- Work on jumping off the starting block wearing a life-jacket & swimming 50 yards
- Work on improving front crawl, rotary breathing & backstroke, as well as increasing swimmers endurance & ability to swim 25 yards strong front crawl & backstroke
- Work on learning the breaststroke & butterfly stroke and work on the ability to perform 15 yards of rudimentary breast stroke & butterfly stroke
- Learn to perform a head first surface dive in the deep end & a forward somersault
- Introduction to diving off the starting block
STARFISH 2 LEVEL (Ages 3 - 5)
For the child who completed Starfish 1 level or can swim 25 yards with a strong front crawl with rotary breathing and a strong backstroke. Perform 15 yards of rudimentary breaststroke and butterfly stroke. Can do a head first surface dive from in the water and a forward somersault.
- Work on building endurance to swim 50 yards front crawl with bilateral breathing
- Work on increasing distance swimming 50 yards backstroke, 25 yards breaststroke & 25 yards butterfly
- Learn starts and turns including breaststroke pull out
STARFISH 3 LEVEL (Ages 3 - 5)
For the child who completed Starfish 2 level and has instructor approval. The focus will be on pre-competitive swimming skills to make an easy transition to Zoomers once the child is old enough. A cap, goggles and fins are required for this level. This is a 45 minute class.
DIVING PRACTICE CLASS
For the student that needs additional help in learning to dive. Must present a copy of paid receipt to the Instructor. Open to children in Ray 1 & 2, Starfish 1, 2 & 3, Polliwog 2, Guppy and Minnow 1 & 2. Three week class.
PRESCHOOL PRIVATE SWIM LESSONS (Ages 3 - 5)
For those who need extra attention or would like a one on one session with a Swim Instructor. Call Aquatic Coordinator at 732 341 9622 ext 2277 to arrange a lesson by appointment. Must present a copy of paid receipt to the Instructor. 1/2 Hr Class
SPECIAL POPULATION PARENT/CHILD SWIM LESSONS (Ages 3 - 14 with parent)
Swim lessons for non-swimming youth with special needs. Small group setting so that the Instructor is able to come around and work with each child. The parent is in the water helping the child practice their skills while following directions from the Instructor. Before registering, call for a swim evaluation, Aquatic Coordinator at 732 341 9622 ext 2277.
SPECIAL POPULATION SWIM LESSONS (Preschool through Youth, Ages 3 & up, Limited Availability)
Swim lessons for youth with limited swimming abilities or the beginner non-swimmer with special needs. Small group setting so that the Instructor is able to come around and work with each child. Non-swimmers must have parent in the water helping the child practice their skills while following directions from the Instructor. Before registering, call for a swim evaluation, Aquatic Coordinator at 732 341 9622 ext 2277.