Home » Programs » Aquatics » Preschool Lessons
SHRIMP / KIPPER / INIA
To promote an enjoyable aquatic experience between parent and child in their water exploration together. Class objectives are:
- Adjust parent and child to the water and develop the ability to enter and exit the pool safely
- Develop the child's balance, coordination and breath control
- Learn basic swimming skills, kicking, reaching & pulling
- Increase parent's knowledge of water safety guidelines
- Enjoy the group environment & network with other parents
PERCH (Ages 2 - 3)
The focus of this class will be helping the child gain confidence and the ability to move through water independently, wearing a flotation device
- Work on following direction from the Instructor
- Child will develop the ability to enter the pool independently, using the "Safe Way In"
- Work on kicking, reaching & pulling, while wearing a flotation device
- Introduction to working with a kick board, treading water and back float, while wearing a flotation device
JELLYFISH 1 LEVEL (Ages 2 - 3)
For the child who just completed Perch level without a lapse between sessions and has been approved by the Instructor to take this class. No exceptions will be made due to safety reasons. Child is already comfortable working with an Instructor, following directions and swimming independently 15 yards with a flotation. The child is ready to be in class on their own, but not old enough. The parent is in the water, but in the background.
- Instructor will be working on helping students become more independent of the parent
- Work on swimming more on their stomach in a horizontal position; increasing endurance & getting comfortable swimming in the deep end
- Get more comfortable with putting their face in the water and work on more challenging aquatic skills
JELLYFISH ADVANCED (Ages 2 - 3)
Child must have completed Jellyfish without a lapse between sessions, and has Instructor approval to take this class. Child must be able to follow direction well in a group with little parental guidance. The parent is in the water, but mostly in the background.
- Increase endurance and be able to swim independently 25 yards with a flotation on and a few feet without
- Work on jumping in water above their head, submerging under water, and then turning to grab the wall & climbing out of the pool
- Learn basic skills for swimming on their back, and gradually increase distance swam on their back
PIKE (Ages 3 - 5)
Child must be independent of parent and at least three years old before the first day of class. This class is great for water adjustment for the beginner swimmer, who may have little or no water experience.
- Introduction to basic swimming skills, pool rules, and water safety
- Work on blowing bubbles with their mouth, while their face is out of the water
- Will gain enough comfort to swim in a prone position for 5 yards
- Will work on being comfortable on their back, and will be able to back float for 5 seconds with a bubble and with the instructor’s assistance
PIKE ADVANCED (Ages 3 - 5)
Participant has completed Pike or has been evaluated for this level. They must have already adjusted to group instruction by being independent of parent.
- Understands basic pool rules and personal safety
- Beginning to swim in a prone position for the whole lesson
- Child will attempt to take a few strokes without a bubble on.
- Work on blowing bubbles with whole face in the water with coordinated kicking
- Will continue to work on being comfortable on their back, and will be able to back float for 8 seconds with a bubble on and no instructor assistance
- Will work on pushing off the wall in a glide position, with their face in
EEL (Ages 3 - 5)
Participant has completed Pike Advanced or has been evaluated for this level.
- Introduction to rotary breathing
- Works on crawl stroke arms with their face in the water for at least 5 yards
- Work on the ability to back skull for 15 yards
- Builds endurance to be able to doggy paddle at least 15 yards
- Works on back floating for 10 seconds without assistance
- Introduction to “crayon” (seated) dives
RAY (Ages 3 - 5)
Participant has completed the Eel Level, or has been evaluated for this class.
- Work on coordinating rotary breathing with crawl stroke arms for 15 yards
- Introduction to proper backstroke arms
- Introduction to elementary backstroke
- Works on back floating for 15 seconds without assistance
- Introduction to kneeling dives
STARFISH (Ages 3 - 5)
Participant has completed the Ray Level, or has been evaluated for this class.
- Works on proficiently completing 25 yards of front and back crawl
- Works on back floating for 20 seconds without assistance
- Introduction to butterfly and breaststroke kicks
- Introduction to standing dives
DIVING PRACTICE CLASS
For the student that needs additional help in learning to dive. Must present a copy of paid receipt to the Instructor. Open to children in Ray 1 & 2, Starfish 1, 2 & 3, Polliwog 2, Guppy and Minnow 1 & 2. Three week class.
PRESCHOOL PRIVATE SWIM LESSONS (Ages 3 - 5)
For those who need extra attention or would like a one on one session with a Swim Instructor. Call Aquatic Coordinator at 732 341 9622 ext 2277 to arrange a lesson by appointment. Must present a copy of paid receipt to the Instructor. 1/2 Hr Class
SPECIAL POPULATION PARENT/CHILD SWIM LESSONS (Ages 3 - 14 with parent)
Swim lessons for non-swimming youth with special needs. Small group setting so that the Instructor is able to come around and work with each child. The parent is in the water helping the child practice their skills while following directions from the Instructor. Before registering, call for a swim evaluation, Aquatic Coordinator at 732 341 9622 ext 2277.
SPECIAL POPULATION SWIM LESSONS (Preschool through Youth, Ages 3 & up, Limited Availability)
Swim lessons for youth with limited swimming abilities or the beginner non-swimmer with special needs. Small group setting so that the Instructor is able to come around and work with each child. Non-swimmers must have parent in the water helping the child practice their skills while following directions from the Instructor. Before registering, call for a swim evaluation, Aquatic Coordinator at 732 341 9622 ext 2277.